Thursday, January 5, 2012

It's dinnertime! Clean Eating Day 3

I have loved clean eating for dinner because although it takes a bit longer to prepare meals, it's challenged my creativity in the kitchen. Also, John and I have realized that we really taste the flavors more which such fresh, in-season ingredients.

Below are the shredded pork tacos that I made last night. I had a basic recipe to work off of but made it my own. I normally don't care for pork, but this recipe made it anything but chewy! My recipe is below, and serves about four.

Slow Cooker Pork Tacos




Ingredients:
Pork loin
Bottle of beer (alcohol isn't technically "clean" but it's only used to cook the pork, so it's ok!)
Juice from 1 orange
1 red onion, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
2 jalapenos, chopped (with seeds if you like some heat!)
2 corn from on the cob, cooked in boiling water for 20 minutes and cut off the cob
1 avocado, chopped
3 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped 
Juice from 1 lime
1 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. paprika
Ground pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Place pork loin in slower cooker. (You can season with your favorite spices, such as coriander, cumin, pepper etc.) Pour one bottle of beer (I used an amber one) and the juice from one orange over the pork. Cook on low for 6 hours.
2. Remove pork from slow cooker after the pork is done, discarding the liquid. Pull pork apart with a fork so it is in bite-sized pieces. Set aside in a separate bowl.
3. Combine the rest of the ingredients, the onion through ground pepper in a separate bowl, to make the salsa.
4. Heat whole-wheat tortillas in the microwave (I prefer Trader Joe's delicious jalapeno lime tortillas) and top with shredded pork and salsa.  

Sweet Potato, Black Bean Soup



This soup is a tasty, hearty meal for our vegetarian nights... and it's perfect for wintertime! Again, I had a basic recipe that inspired me, but made it my own by using what fresh veggies I had in the fridge. I encourage you to do the same! 

I served it with brussels sprouts (my fave!), sauteed in olive oil, a couple tablespoons of all-natural apple juice, cayenne pepper, and ground black pepper. Whole wheat bread, preferably homemade or a loaf from a bakery (or Trader Joe's!), is also a good clean eating choice. 

The amount of ingredients below is a rough estimate, since I didn't measure anything out exactly, but this should serve about four.

Ingredients:
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
Olive oil
Sage
2 corn from on the cob, cooked in boiling water for 20 minutes and cut off the cob
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, deseeded and chopped
3 cups chicken broth
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (even better if you use dried black beans, since these are fully "clean")
1 can pumpkin puree (I couldn't find fresh pumpkin, but if you can, use it! Roast and puree in a blender. Otherwise, find canned organic, pure pumpkin.)
1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp. thyme

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place peeled and chopped sweet potatoes in a baking dish. Drizzle olive oil over the potatoes and sprinkle with dried sage. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
2. Heat olive oil in a dutch oven and add onion. Cook about 8 minutes or until crisp tender. 
3. Add garlic and yellow pepper to pot. Cook about 3 minutes.
4. Add remaining ingredients and add in roasted sweet potatoes.
5. Let simmer for at least 20 minutes. 


1 comment: